Sunday, August 14, 2016

Settling In: A Washer and Dryer Make it Like Home

Some are asking if we've settled in or if we like it out in Idaho. As our good friend would say "there are two sides to every pancake." To sum up, we like it. We like that it's cool at night, there's hardly a drop of humidity in the air, and that we can virtually leave our doors unlocked. (We lock them anyways...don't get any ideas.) I personally don't like how much I need or rely on lotion and chapstick like my life depended on it. Alas, if that is all I have to complain about then I'd say we're in a good spot. I guess the biggest con side of the pancake is we don't have the resources of family like we have always had. Also, we left all of our furniture in NC so we literally have a mattress and a table.

We DID acquire a washer and dryer. Story time: we looked and looked for used washers and dryers on eastern Idaho craigslist. We found one where the guy would deliver them to us but said our offer was too low. Then he texted back and said he only had the truck for one day and his other bidder wouldn't be available until two days from then, which I guess was a problem scheduling wise. So he said he was ready to give them to us for the cheaper price! We were stoked. Then we gave him our address and he said, "I'm in Las Vegas. I forgot to take down my Idaho advertisement, I'm sorry to have wasted your time." DOH! We weren't so thrilled to say the least.  

Then a couple days later we found a couple selling their washer and dryer set for $80! They looked really old but she assured me they worked just great. I had to work the next day when she wanted us to pick them up so I sent Trevor. He (with the help of the seller's husband) fit both of them into Otto and took them home and set them up. We needed a couple of new things like the plug was the wrong number of prongs so Trevor just "handymaned" the heck out this thing and switched the plug to the correct one and then found a tube that will connect for the drain. Voila! It was finished.

We have since discovered that we cannot set the washer to anything but delicate or the agitator won't spin and it will just drain the soapy water right after it fills. So everything is getting a good gentle wash. The dryer will dry hot sometimes and cold other times- but we put it on the timer setting on 70 minutes each to get them good and dry.

Ahh...there they are in all their glory.

Yes, we had to turn the washer sideways to make it fit. It is a funky shape. We are happy with them and the price we paid. 

Passionately,
Arica


No comments:

Post a Comment