In recent years I joined a "fitness club", as they like to call it. It's a gym. They have classes, equipment, and one on one training sessions-if you can pay for it. I went to a class with MMA style training, or that's what they called it. Ashleigh was with me as my partner and we killed it. We did this a couple times together but it wasn't sustainable to our budgets or time. So, I also took a boxing class and I loved that but the instructor quit and no one else took her place.
Then I watched Meet the Mormons. Firstly, it's a great movie (it's on Netflix). Secondly, there's an MMA fighter, Carolina Munoz, from Costa Rica. I watched her segment about fighting and thought- I want to do that. I was very inspired and the fact that she didn't start until she was already married gave me hope.
![]() |
| Carolina Munoz training in her gym |
This Christmas Ashleigh gave me a gift of ANY martial arts style I'd like to try and she'd help me get into it for a month. This led me back to do more research and ask more questions. There are two that I've found, conducive to these personal principles:
- it'll help me get in shape
- my motivation will continue to increase
- it's practical
- it relieves stress
They are Krav Maga and Kickboxing.
Krav Maga
is a self defense or protection system. In Krav Maga, you’ll learn to defeat unarmed attackers, rapidly resolve ground fights, and deal with knives and guns. Additionally, you’ll learn how to debilitate your opponent rapidly irrespective of his size, training background, or experience level. Most importantly the system can be learned quickly and applied under extreme stress. (according to www.whatiskravmaga.webs.com)Calories: 800 -900/45 minutes
Price: typically $100 - $130/month
Targets: defense, cardio, bag workouts
Cons: works out with CrossFit in some locations, fitness style looks like Kickboxing, seems like you may pay for the name, more focused on defense than fitness.
Pros: self defense, more calories are burned,
Kickboxing
“Kickboxing” is something of a catchall term. In South East Asia alone, the word can refer to many disciples including the tremendously popular Muay Thai, all of which allow the use of elbows and knees during fights. In the U.S., however, kickboxing is more a blend of boxing and karate that strictly prohibits strikes with anything but the hands and feet, as well as attacking an opponent’s groin, legs, or back. (www.greatist.com)Calories: 500/hour
Price: $65 - $180/month
Targets: total body- arms, shoulder, abs, thighs, and butt
Cons: not very specific in the discipline, not sure of the standard, not really giving you self defense lessons.
Pros: cheaper, easily accessible, great work out.
I have found two places that are close to my house/work and I intend to try a free work out from each. Hopefully, I can make a decision after I physically try them.
As for me at this moment, I'm just ready to kick some butt!
~Arica Baker

No comments:
Post a Comment